Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Return

Hello again, blogosphere... I have decided to return after a long, 6 month sabbatical of sorts... It's time for me to start documenting my thoughts again, my ramblings, my musings, etc...

2012, for me, will be a year of change.  I am part of a book club reading The Artist's Way, authored by Julia Cameron, which is a self-help book of sorts, helping the reader discover/rediscover their innate creativity via a spiritual path.  We are in the process of starting to write a new show at the Studio, and I have been at Starfire for about 7 months.

I need to re-tune myself in to the Spirit, and I'm hoping The Artist's Way will help do just that...  At any rate, driving in to work this morning, I was listening to some gospel music in one attempt to begin tuning in again... the name of the song was "You Are Holy."  One of the lyrics states, "You are holy, oh so holy, You are holy Lord of all..."

As I listened, I began thinking about the actual text, which comes from a passage in the book of Isaiah... I found it interesting how you could take that phrase "You are holy Lord of all," and through the use of punctuation and homophones, you could drastically change the intended connotation of said phrase, with each different connotation being equally relevant to worship.  For one, the statement as it stands is a general declaration.  If you insert a comma - "You are holy, Lord of all" - it becomes a directive statement to God.  If you insert a comma in a different place, it drives more at the very essence of God - "You are, Holy, Lord of all."  Considering that God told Moses in Exodus 3 that God's name is YHWH, which means "I am Who am."  Placing the comma after "are" in addition to the comma after "holy" changes the connotation to speaking directly to God, addressing God as "Holy [and] Lord of all."  Again, this is a directive statement, but it changes God from a noun to a verb, reaching out to the very essence and nature of God that God has described God's self.

And considering we are all created in the image of God, what if we each begin to look at our own existences in the verb form instead of the noun form... It certainly is an interesting notion...

Just my thoughts for the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment